set yourself free from “ev side effect” - range anxiety
all evs employ rechargeable batteries, proper care of these batteries is critical to the vehicle's operation. to see how they impact vehicle design and the electrical grid, we have to look at the characteristics of these batteries, usually li-ion. ev battery packs are multiple-cell modules arranged in series and parallel. the battery pack has a battery management system (bms) that monitors components close to the cells.
during the discharging and charging of an ev battery, each cell within the battery pack must be closely and accurately monitored because unbalanced cell voltage conditions can impact battery performance. bms protects the cells from overcharging and over-discharging and can also balance them to prolong their life.
when designing an ev, the essential points engineers must consider would be:
- the battery pack's weight, volume, and cost.
- how the battery will be charged.
- how long does it take to charge the battery in full?
- how many distance the battery could be lasted?
with the basis of proper and smart design, an ev battery can last for years, providing clean, efficient transportation.
what is the side-effect of driving an electric vehicle?
electric vehicles have come a long way in recent years, but there is still one major hurdle in widespread adoption: range anxiety. range anxiety is what an ev driver feels when the charge of the battery is low, and the usual sources of electricity are not readily available. it sparks the stress of getting stranded somewhere in the middle, which adds inconvenience, time, and anxiety to a journey. studies and most research show that driving range and a lack of charging infrastructure are why people do not consider buying evs when buying a new vehicle.
fortunately, there are steps that both individual drivers and policymakers can take to ease range anxiety. for drivers, it is essential to plan and know where charging stations are located. it is also helpful to have a backup plan in case of emergencies. on the other hand, policymakers can help by investing in the development of charging infrastructure. with both individuals and governments working together, we can help make electric vehicles a viable option for everyone.
again, range anxiety is a natural phenomenon experienced by many electric vehicle (ev) owners. it occurs when an ev owner's daily routine is unexpectedly altered, and they must suddenly go somewhere or do something that requires more charge than their car currently has. it can be a significant inconvenience, as the ev owner may need to find and use a public charging station, which can take additional time and effort. sometimes, it may even mean that the ev owner cannot accomplish their task. range anxiety is a legitimate concern for many ev owners, but there are ways to help ease the anxiety, such as…
- install a charging station at home - installing a home charging station for your electric vehicle (ev) is a great way never to have to stop at a charging station again. home charging stations are easy to install but could be expensive. they cost hundreds of dollars, and older homes may require electrical system upgrades to accommodate them, along with a professional installation by a licensed electrician. if you charge your ev every night before bed, you will always have a full battery in the morning. installing a home charging station is a great way to save money and never have to worry about your ev running out of power again.
- get a plug-in hybrid - a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (phev) is an excellent option for anyone who wants to reduce their dependence on gasoline without worrying about range anxiety. phevs operate solely on electricity for short distances, which means you can charge them up at home or work. and when the battery reaches its minimum charge, a gasoline engine starts, and the vehicle operates like a traditional hybrid. so, when you can recharge the phev or find a gas station nearby when the fuel tank gets low or empty, a phev won't strand you in the middle of anywhere. plus, phevs emit less pollution than traditional gas-powered vehicles, so you can feel good about doing your part to help the environment.
- for road trips, resort to gasoline vehicles or phev - when it comes to road trips, electric vehicles (evs) are not the best choice. taking an ev on a road trip or somewhere far requires careful planning and patience, as you must map out charging stations along your route and account for the time it will take to recharge your vehicle. a better option for road trippers is a gasoline-fueled car or phev. gas stations are located throughout the country, and gasoline-fueled vehicles don't require extra planning.
regarding the battery capacity, usi can make it better.
electric vehicles have five principal electric structures: body electrics, charging systems, batteries, electric-powered automobiles, and thermal facilities. while new automotive brands are rapidly penetrating the battery and electric-powered motor applications markets, traditional automotive suppliers are more dominant in the area of power modules and thermal structures, which is the main reason why usi has been favoured by customers in ev powertrain systems.
usi's power modules are used in on-board chargers (obc), a standard configuration for all-electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. obcs, convert ac power to dc power to charge the power battery, of which the power module plays a vital role in voltage stabilization and current rectification. by introducing the car purposeful protection popular iso26262 and being licensed with chapters ii and vii for production, usi has been well-identified in the past few years. european clients have widely adopted the power modules because of the excellent quality and performance and started the long-term contract one after another.
with more than 40-year experience in manufacturing power electronic units, we are already in the global supply chain of xev powertrain structures. all this must be attributed to the high-quality power modules developed by our sophisticated ae team. ev brand owners who have partnered with us can be confident that the quality of the product will meet the market's demands.
for the latest innovation technology, application
and industry insight.